A Year in Review: A Look at Floki’s First Year and What Lies Ahead
Floki’s journey started on the 25th of June, 2021 when creative genius and billionaire Tesla founder Elon Musk tweeted that his Shiba Inu will be named Floki:
That tweet inspired the creation of the “Floki” cryptocurrency by an anonymous dev.
Prior to this tweet, both Dogecoin and the Shiba Inu cryptocurrencies have proven to be mainstream phenomena mainly due to Elon Musk’s influence and the power of his tweets and memes.
Elon is the king of memes, and as he’s famously written, “Who controls the memes, Controls the universe.”
Dogecoin and Shiba Inu came from practical obscurity to both becoming more popular than the world’s biggest cryptocurrency Bitcoin (and now both in the top 15 of all cryptocurrencies!)… mostly due to the power of memes fueled by “the Elon Musk effect”.
Named after his very Shiba, this effect was bound to transmit to the Floki cryptocurrency. So it wasn’t much of a surprise that a community quickly rallied around it.
There was a problem though: barely a week after the creation of the Floki cryptocurrency, upon realizing that the initial token contract had an inflation bug, the original developer abandoned the project and left it for dead rather than fix things.
In what would be the greatest comeback in crypto history, led by the current team, the Floki community came together and ensured a revival of the project to the astonishment of many in the industry who had already declared it dead.
At that point, Floki became the people’s cryptocurrency.
A project that was abandoned and declared dead came to life because THE PEOPLE came together, bonded, and, united in purpose, decided that it has to live. AND IT LIVED!
That was exactly one year today, on July 7th 2021.
A Global Movement
While Floki started as a memecoin inspired by an Elon Musk tweet, we’ve been able to differentiate ourselves and achieve something quite impressive within our first year: becoming a global movement.
In Floki’s first year, we were able to achieve the following:
1. Worldwide recognition and adoption. At a point Floki was in the top 100 of the world’s biggest and most used cryptocurrencies. A significant accomplishment considering many had written the project off!
2. 400,000+ holders on the Ethereum and Binance Smart Chain networks. This does not account for holders on centralized exchanges like Huobi, Gate, and over 20 other centralized exchanges where Floki has a large user base.
3. Thanks to this large user base, Floki has consistently dominated both online and in the real world: Floki has trended more times than we can count on top social networks like Twitter, Stocktwits, and others. We’ve had periods where Floki has trended daily on Twitter for two weeks straight.
Over 300 people participated in Floki’s recent #FlokiUltras guerilla marketing competition. That’s hundreds of people who went out there raiding and evangelizing Floki in some form in the real world (and posted videos of themselves doing so on social media!).
4. Floki’s incredible marketing has made it such a force to reckon with not only in the crypto space but in the real world.
In the span of a year, we’ve achieved impressively amazing marketing feats that include:
- Partnering with 8 major international football clubs.
- Partnering with a major Formula 1 team.
- Running aggressive marketing campaigns in over a dozen countries including our widely publicized UK marketing campaign that featured Floki on 300 buses and all over the London Underground.
At one point, due to our aggressive marketing campaign, Floki was the most talked about cryptocurrency in the United Kingdom — only behind Solana and Bitcoin and ahead of Ethereum and Cardano.
Floki’s marketing campaigns have put the Floki brand in front of billions of people, many of whom will remember it for years to come, all within the first year of our existence.
Building Schools and Fighting Food Insecurity
Beyond Floki’s strong community and marketing initiatives is something else that really set us apart and make us a true movement:
A strong focus on charity and a desire to make a true impact in the real world — showing Floki’s passion for making life better for the underprivileged in line with our motto as the people’s cryptocurrency.
In our first year, Floki was able to complete a state of the art school in Nigeria (pictured below) and commission building of schools in 3 other nations of the world: namely, Laos, Guatemala, and Ghana.
Below is a video recorded during the construction of the Nigerian school showing how much of a difference the school would make in the community it is being constructed in:
Furthermore, the school we are building in Laos was recently completed and below are a few pictures taken of it:
Other schools are due to be completed soon.
Floki did more than just build schools, though.
In our first year, we contributed around $1.7 million dollars to causes focused on fighting food insecurity such as the Million Gardens Movement and affiliate Project Sweetie Pie.
These charitable moves are why The Giving Block ranked Floki as the second most charitable NFT project in the world. More importantly though, they showed that at the heart of the Floki movement is a genuine desire to make the world a better place.
Institutional and Utility-Focused Partnerships
In an industry rife with scams and rugpulls, new cryptocurrencies struggle to establish legitimacy. Floki stood out relatively quickly due to strong institutional and utility-focused partnerships, however.
We got several institutional and utility-focused partnerships within our first year that made it clear we are playing the long game and that we won’t be playing alone.
Since institutions only bet on a winning horse after doing their due diligence, these partnerships are essentially a vote of confidence on Floki and our long-term potential.
Specifically, some of the top partnerships we got in our first year include:
Wintermute — leading market maker responsible for $8 billion+ in daily crypto volume, cumulative crypto volume of over $2 trillion, and facilitating OTC trades for institutions that want exposure to Floki.
Chainlink — world’s leading oracle solution (by far!) responsible for securing $20.5 billion in smart contracts and crypto value.
Certik — leading blockchain audit solution partnered with crypto’s leading brands (Binance, Huobi, etc) and the industry’s blockchain security gold standard.
NOWPayments — crypto payment gateway that make it possible for millions of stores and websites to seamlessly integrate Floki as their preferred payment solution.
We were also able to form strategic partnerships with key DeFi protocols that include BarnBridge, OpenLeverage, and Inverse Finance during Floki’s first year.
A Strong Utility Focus
Floki very quickly differentiated itself from competing cryptocurrencies in its first year through a strong utility focus.
We’ve been very clear from the get-go that Floki is building an ecosystem.
The Floki ecosystem consists of:
- Our Valhalla Metaverse P2E NFT game which is our flagship utility product.
- The University of Floki crypto education platform.
- The FlokiPlaces NFT and merchandise marketplace.
- DeFi through strategic partnership and integrations.
- The soon-to-be released “Project L” protocol.
Beyond outlining these utility products that make up the Floki ecosystem, we’ve actually proven our ability to deliver:
- The “Battle Arena” of our Valhalla game launched on the Optimistic Kovan testnet late February 2022 to rave reviews. We’ve introduced several patch updates since as well as new Vera showing we are more than capable of delivering something impressive to the crypto community.
- The University of Floki beta which recently launched and has been well received by the Floki community.
- Key DeFi integrations that show our desire to give people control of their finances.
To make it clear that we mean business as we head into Floki’s second year, we recently released our development roadmap for the second half of 2022.
Some of the highlights of the roadmap include:
- The release of the much anticipated Gemstone NFTs.
- The launch of Floki’s anticipated “Project L” protocol.
- Planned DeFi staking and farming.
- The release of the Floki Debit Card.
- Initiating the final phase of the transition to full DAO.
- The first release-worthy version of the Valhalla GameFi metaverse will go live on Optimistic testnet.
Of course, beyond what is on the roadmap we have much more planned.
An Exciting Future Ahead
Floki’s first year sure has been an exciting one, of which we’re thankful for. We acknowledge the Vikings that have stood with us, without whose support the above accomplishments would not have been possible.
More importantly, we are optimistic about Floki’s second year!
One thing is certain: the second half of 2022 will be a packed year for Floki and our community of Vikings, and Floki’s second year is going to make a huge difference in cementing Floki as a crypto force to reckon with particularly on an utility and adoption level.